How To Cook Coconut Jollof Rice

Jollof _ coconut _rice_Nigeria _west_africa_food
This is one of those recipes that I debated sharing for a long time; why you ask – well, my husband loves this stuff, there has never been a time when I cooked this and he ate just one bowl. He would typically go for a second or third serving. So my fear is that if I ever shared the recipe and he finds out how to make it, that might be the end of my power. Lol. I would no longer be able to bribe him with my famous coconut jollof rice, it’s silly right? Yes I know. Lol.
There are two things that set my coconut Jollof apart – One is in the use of my now famous roasted stew base which gives the rice a smoky flavor.The other is my two step crayfish process. The end result is rich, smoky, fragrant and ho so delicious.
As always, I will make use of Basmati rice, please feel free to use parboiled rice or even ofada rice (parboil for about 20 minutes prior ) if you prefer.
Coconut Jollof Rice
Prep time:  
Cook time:  30 mins
Total time:  
Serves: 5
Honestly, if you only try one recipe this month, make it this one. The flavor combination is amazing! I typically serve mine with either stewed meat or peppered meat
Ingredients
  • ¼ cup coconut oil
  • 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
  • 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
My brand of choice is by Thai Kitchen
  • 2 knorr cubes
  • Salt – to taste
  • Ground pepper – to taste
  • 4 heaped tablespoons crayffish (divided)
  • 3 cooking spoons Nigerian stew base
  • 3 cups rice – washed
Directions
  1. Place a pot with a tight fitting lead on medium heat, heat up the coconut oil. Add in sliced onions and fry until translucent and fragrant.
  2. Add in stew base, Knorr, salt, pepper, half crayfish, coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Cover and allow to simmer on low-medium heat for 15 minutes
  3. Uncover the pot and stir in rice. increase heat to medium. Leave to come to a boil (when you see bubbles ontop of the rice). Reduce heat to low-medium and cover the pot tightly.
  4. Cook for 15 minutes (if using basmati) or for 25 minutes (if using parboiled rice)
  5. Fluff the cooked rice with a fork then add in the left over crayfish (This is the absolute best part, it is amazing!!)
  6. Serve with your choice of protein

Comments

Popular Posts